The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New Mystery adding ;The 10Great Mysteries o.Collect. Heuers

New Mystery adding ; The 10 Great Mysteries of Collecting Vintage Heuers

Hi Jeff , hi heuer lovers,

we are just working on a Monaco 1133B Transitional, serial No. 157266, cleaning up the seal glueing…what a mess….and I noticed, once again, a engraved extra serial number C 7391-3 on the outerside of the back case of this very early Monaco!

I have seen these numbers before on watches from my collection , as a Autavia and a Silverstone and a had a look into our stock this afternoon and found more of this codes on Heuer Carreras 1153 ;
C 6335-3

/ C 2495-3 too.

I know what my Chronomatic Monaco has this sort of code on its back too and my watch came out of Switzerland originally.

One of the Carreras was also sold to me by a swiss collector too….So these Numbers must have to do with the sales in the swiss market from 19…. antill beginning of the 1970 ties.

I emailed quickly with Jack Heuer about my new experience and he told me a story about these extra in Heuer Chronos engraved numbers ;

Out the email correspondence with Jack Heuer:
„Lieber Herr Bitter, hier meine Antworten:
Zu 1): Bis Anfangs der 70-zier Jahre hatten wir einen Exklusiv-Vertreter der als Grossist auftrat für den Verkauf unserer Uhren in der Schweiz.
Der Name der Firma war:
Cuanillon & Co.
Es ist durchaus möglich dass er die Uhren mit einer kleinen Gravur versah, um so feststellen zu können bei Retouren oder Service, ob er das Stück verkauft hatte. Ich war darüber nicht informiert oder erinnere mich nicht mehr. Das C würde darauf hinweisen ! Der damalige Besitzer der Firma hiess Jean-Louis Cuanillon. Er muss heute über 80 Jahre alt sein. Wenn er noch lebt, ist er in Biel, Nidau oder Port b/Biel. Seine Firma existiert nicht mehr. Schon sein Grossvater war unser Grossists für den CH Markt.“

English;
“Dear Mr. Bitter, here are my answeres:
Antill the beginning of the 1970 ties we had a exclusive Wholesale dealer who traded all our watches only in the swiss market too.
The Name of the company was; Cuanillon & Co.
Its possible that they engraved the sold watches to better identify them when a watch was returned or came back for service. But I don’t really remember and I was not informed about these practices. The engraved C would be a index for these conventions……the owner of the company was jean-Louis Cuanillon. We would probably today be over 80 years . And if he is still alive, he will live in Biel , Nidau or Port b/Biel. The company does not exist anymore. But already his grandfather was the wholesaler for Heuer in the swiss market too.”

Jasper:
I remembered the name of Cuaillon , I just had bougt a Heuer Katalog 1968 from a swiss guy, i check my katalogs and:

the back page was not printed with usally" Heuer SA Biel" but ;
Cuanillon & Co.
4, Avenue de la Gare
2500 Biel-Bienne
Tel: 032 231 16

So friends please check our swiss chronos, who has seen these strange numbers before too or even has a watch in his collection that is engraved too.? perhaps this will help us a little to find out about productionnumbers or just a sale serial number?

Greetings Jasper Bitter
www.Classicheuer.de

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE