The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Autavia 2446
In Response To: Heuer Autavia 2446 ()

Hi Roy,

if it was purchased in 1965, it should have a screwback, 1st execution case and 1st execution dial, dauphine hands also (see "Master Reference Table"). It should look like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/mwb67o

Personally, I haven't seen one for sale, it is very rare anyway, especially in good condition.

The "Price Guide" (http://onthedash.com/priceguide.shtml) lists it at $ 3.500 - 4.500, but the last update was in Sept. 2007, so I am sure the value must have risen. And I can imagine there are collectors who would pay more for such a rare watch. It also depends on the condition, of course. As the guide suggests, "most samples show considerable aging (dial, hands and bezel)". So if your watch "is in very good condition with only the slightest signs of wear", you are very lucky indeed!

Don't know which was the original band, maybe a Gay & Freres? They don't sell under $ 500, maybe more. I am actually looking for one for my Autavia 73463!

Best wishes,

oliver

: Many years ago I inherited what I believe to be a Heuer Autavia
: 2446 M from my father. My mother tells me she purchased the
: watch in 1965 at a Jewler in Esslingen, West German. I am
: looking for two pieces of information:

: 1. What is the estimated current value in USD (so i can have it
: properly insured)? The watch is in very good condition with only
: the slightest signs of wear. It is accurate to with + - 1 minute
: over 24 hours.

: 2. The original band is some type of Nylon. As I do not like the
: look / feel of Nylon, can anyone suggest a replacement band that
: would maintain the authentic look and feel of this particular
: generation of Heuer watches?

: Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread

Heuer Autavia 2446
Re: Heuer Autavia 2446
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE