The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Vote for the . . .

I vote for the . . . drumroll, please . . . manual-wind version.

Maybe it's just a phase that I am going through, but I am in the "less is more" frame of mind lately . . . it started with the Carreras, and now is affecting my affection for some of the Autavias. (Of course, in the Monacos, I will go for either version, as the cases are approx. the same size.) But for these Autavia GMTs, I will put aside considerations of scarcity (which would favor the early version of the Cal 11GMT), and opt for the cleaner, simpler, smaller design of the manual-wind version.

Just for fun, I have "borrowed" an image from Gianvittorio, over on the VetroPlastica vintage Heuer forum. Just imagine if Rolex had made this GMT chronograph. Merge the Daytona and the GMT, and this is what you might have gotten! Stunner, isn't it!!

So now the voting stands at 1-to-1.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: You certainly know how to serve up the hard choices David !
: Hmmm ... both colourful, purpose built GMT's
: For my part i would prefer the automatic. - As much as i love that
: manual GMT the charm and rarity of the 1-24 bezel on the
: automatic wins me over.
: Tough call , my feling is the this will be a closely fought poll.
: Nice photo too.

: Cheers - Darren
: -
: -: Which would it be..?!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE