The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Monaco CS2111 Serial?
In Response To: Re: Monaco CS2111 Serial? ()

: Look at the area I've highlighted on the photo. See how it looks a
: little lighter than the rest of the case back? This is where the
: serial/limited edition number would have been found. And there
: is a fairly tell-tale vertical scratch below the 'e' of Heuer. I
: stand by my theory of this being a grey market watch originally,
: which had its identifying number removed.

You are quite correct, Mark. I decided to trace the owner history and it seems that my poor Monaco went through several hands. It was given to my seller as part of a trade; that trading-person informed me he got it from a gray-market dealer and, although he does not remember if the serials were on it when he received it, he is relatively sure that the dealer cleaned them off. My seller had the Monaco cleaned and fully serviced because he felt it was in poor condition, and while it is possible that polishing took out the serials, it is unlikely.

Thanks to all for all the input. I looked back at my communications and the only thing I did not request was a photo of the caseback. I was diligent about everything else. I guess I assumed that a watch that comes with the original box, papers, and strap would be authentic. It is authentic, but somewhat diminished in value. Goes to prove that one cannot be diligent enough.

Shame about the serial number, but it is my fault. I still love the watch. Hm, maybe I can buy a genuine caseback with a serial number...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE