The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
40 years ago...

OK, this is not directly a Heuer topic (even if the first swiss chrono in space was a Heuer, as proved by Jeff), but I think any vintage "tool" watch collector has to feel something for the moon landing in 1969.

I can still remember that night. I was 7 years old, growing up in South Africa. There was no TV (political choice of the government of the time) so we listened on the radio. I remember looking out at the moon with my telescope. I knew that the LEM would be too small to see, but I thought maybe I would see the fire from the lunar blast off. I certainly couldn't tell, through my telescope, if the astronauts were wearing 105.012 or 145.012's.... if you want to know more on this debate, check out the master Chuck Maddox's posts on the the topic. I'm sure Chuck would have had something to say today!

These are my "space" watches, posed against a cutting from my scrapbook I made in 1969, you can just make out a speedie in the photo. I am still primarily a Heuer collector, but how can I not own some Speedy's after being a kid in 1969?

Shaun

PS: l am not so convinced about the leather strap on the 145.012. I've changed it now.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE