The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Update: fishy smelling Hamilton chrono-matic on e-bay

The seller of the Hamilton chrono-matic has contacted me via e-mail. Without admitting to his picture posting trangressions, he sent me a blurry video (low rez downloaded from his phone?) of the watch he says he is offering for sale. This example appears to be a nice sample of the watch. The hands appear correct (no stange extension of the chrono seconds hand) and the crown is the correct, thinner version. The video shows the watch with the chrono seconds hand running. He also attached a couple very blurry still frames of the same watch. He indicated he has a lousy camera which I guess is his way of indirectly explaining why he used other people's photos in his auction listing instead of his own. He blames his naivety on this listing's contradictory pictures due to the fact that this is his first e-bay auction. He also makes a veiled accusation that I may be purposely trying to keep the bidding down for my own personal benefit. It is amazing how some people won't admit to their own failings/dishonesty and try to switch the blame elsewhere. So, in a nutshell, it appears he may have a nice example of the watch for sale if the video is legitimate (I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that it is, based on the fact he went to the trouble to try to legitimize the watch in this manner). I have an ongoing concern though, for his lack in taking ownership for (ie-acknowledging) the inappropriate way in which he posted this auction listing and not directly admitting to the "false" photos. I'd have a whole lot more sympathy and understanding for him if he had done so. Bid at your own risk, I say.

Messages In This Thread

Beware of fishy smelling Hamilton chrono-matic on e-bay
Update: fishy smelling Hamilton chrono-matic on e-bay
Re: Update: fishy smelling Hamilton chrono-matic on e-bay
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE