The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Here's The Story of My Birthday Present
In Response To: Congrats - great find. ()

OK -- so here is the story of the present that I bought last Thursday, to celebrate the first birthday of OnTheDash.

For some time -- probably six months -- I have been looking for a chronograph powered by the Lemania 5100 movement. These movements seem to have almost a "cult following" -- it seems as though people buy the watches just to have the movement (if you know what I mean). Of course, I would prefer that my 5100-powered chrono be a Heuer, but in moments of desparation, I had looked at several other brands -- Orfina, Lemania, etc. Still, this seemed to be a chronograph that continued to escape my reach, each time that I drew close to buying one (or even bidding on one).

Well, this past weekend, I travelled to Boston and Philadelphia, with my daughter. This was to be "her trip", to celebrate her 18th birthday and her acceptance to college for next year, and we would do whatever she wanted to do. We would look at the fancy clothes stores in Boston, visit colleges, do some sightseeing -- whatever she wanted. I promised her that this would not be another trip dominated by my searching all over town to find these old watches.

The first day in Boston -- which happened to be the day before the first birthday of OnTheDash -- I was reading through the magazine in the hotel room, and I noticed that we are just a few blocks away from Newbury Street, a very fashionable street which also happens to be the home of European Watch Company. I had heard of European Watch Company, and visited their website from time to time, but I had never visited the store itself.

So that first morning, I ask my daughter what she wants to do, and the answer could not have been better: "Let's look around Newbury Street." She is visualizing a new wardrobe and I am visualizing a new watch!!

We begin making our way up Newbury Street, and I have not even mentioned that I have targeted number 232 Newbury (the home of European Watch Company). As we get within sight, I say, "Oh, look -- a watch store!!". She looks suspicious, but she also realizes that she had chosen Newbury Street and was leading the walk up the street, stopping wherever she chose. So she allowed me a few minutes in the store, while she explored other stores on the street.

By now, you can guess the end of the story. I walked in the store; look at the very first watch in the very first showcase; and there it is -- the Heuer Carrera, Reference 510.523, powered by the Lemania 5100. The price is reasonable; the store is beautiful; the people are friendly; their other lines are interesting (Patek, Vacheron, AP, Lange, Chronoswiss, etc.); and by the time my daughter comes back to pick me up, I am wearing my new Carrera.

My quick visit to European Watch was hardly a detour and certainly did not detract from my daughter's time on Newbury Street. And it left me with my first Lemania 5100, and a fantastic watch to remember this special trip with my daughter.

I will write more later, about my impressions of the watch, but this is the story of the present that I bought myself, to celebrate the first birthday of OnTheDash (and my daughter's 18th birthday). I really enjoy owning watches that carry special memories, so this Carrera will be the one to remind me of these birthdays.

Jeff

<

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE