The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Twitter: Report After One Month

Well, guys . . . I honestly didn't expect my use of Twitter for OnTheDash -- https://twitter.com/onthedash -- to amount to anything, but I signed up to see what this Twitter is all about, as a platform / tool that seems to be becoming increasingly popular / pervasive. By way of background, I had previously decided not to do linkedin, facebook, myspace and some other "social networking" sites.

One month later, I am pleased to report that I really do like Twitter, and think that it is very useful. Of course, it is worth mentioning that -- like so many platforms / technologies -- the success of a person's experience often hinges on what you are seeking to get out of the product. I am not using Twitter to tell people what I am having for dinner, what movies I am seeing, what article I just read, how the kids are doing, or about the ongoing activities of my daily life. I doubt that many folks will be interested in reading about these things, in 140 character increments. What I am using Twitter for is (a) to look for interesting content to post here, even if slightly off-topic (and I am finding this type of content from some other writers who "tweet" about what they are writing) and (b) to post quick messages when I have added content to OnTheDash (for example, the two recent catalog scans). [I have also incorporated a Twitter feed into the What's New Page of OnTheDash, so that when I tweet about new content, it will automatically feed to that What's New page . . . cool stuff!!]

So, as a writer / scanner / creator of content about vintage watches, I think that Twitter is great . . . very useful . . . in just a few seconds, I can see whether other writers / publishers have done anything interesting. It is difficult to say how enjoyable or useful Twitter will be for the average reader, but I do encourage you to give it a try. There are even some good vintage watch dealers who use Twitter to publish their new listings, so it may get you a bargain, every now and then!! But if you are writing, publishing, scanning, posting or otherwise creating content about vintage watches [that's you David, Jarl, Arno, Gianvittorio, Ryan and many other readers], then I think that you really do need to get onto Twitter!!

Hey . . . it's quick and easy, so give it a try!! And be sure to "follow" OnTheDash at https://twitter.com/onthedash.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE