The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A question for readers

Well, you've posted what would have been my opening guess Jeff, a Rolex 6238 Cosmograph. I don't think I've ever seen the predecessor 6234 with contrast subs, but I'm no Rolex expert.

The 6238 definitely predates the Autavia by a few years, but there's a but coming... early ones seem to have uniformly coloured dials. And Autavias had contrast dials right off the bat. So it could be a close run thing, but my gut feel leans towards the Cosmograph having them before the Autavia went on sale.

But then I believe the Navitimer predates the Cosmograph too, dating back to 1952. Did it have contrast dials at launch? I think the earliest Navitimers are solid colours too.

So a complex question you've posed. It's not a case of saying when model X was introduced but instead of when it adopted contrast registers and that's a whole lot harder to find out...

And then we find out an obscure watch by an equally obscure manufacturer trumps them all by 30 years anyway...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE