The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New arrivel - Quartz Verona

In a surprising twist of coincidence ( seeing that Stepan posted his new Verona only days ago ) my new arrival is also a Black faced Verona.
Though i must add mine is clearly of a later issue date and features an Alarm ! Yes, its quartz.
Flicking through the OTD catalogs i found this watch first features in the Heuer line up in 1981 (my 1st year of High School) with a chronograph digital display the same style as found in the Carrera of that year. This one, however, features an alarm and not the chronogragh and i cant seem to find it in any of the archeive catalogs in OTD.
The classic brown paper wrapped box arrived this morning so i've only had a short while to try all the combinations with the 2 buttons that control the LCD display but i have not as yet cracked the code to set the alarm. Does anyone have any ideas/experience with this setup?
I've added just a few quick , dirty photo's of the watch to give you people some idea of what i'm looking at.
Some basic facts :- 19mm lugs , 38 mm body not including crown/buttons , glass crystal has a few scratches , Heuer buckle in gold with the underside marked with Sun emblem and PLAQUE G SWISS
Although the same diameter as an 1153 Carrera the watch feels a tad smaller . It is naturally a thinner watch as it has a quartz rather than a mechanical movement but it just looks a little smaller in comparison. The dial is a very glossy black which looks great in the flesh but plays havoc with refections whilst smiling for the camera. The watch is tidy and elegant, clearly a dress style watch without the clutter associated with registers for a chronograph. The name Verona is obviously an association with the Italian city and perhaps Heuer designers at the time were trying to reflect the elegance of design for which the Italians are occasionally known for ( i'm thinking more classic Ferrari Dino than 80's Lamborgini Contach)
The stap it came on seems to me to be a NOS 20mm Heuer strap ruthlessly crammed in to a space intented for a 19mm item. I plan to remove the strap and replace it with a correct 19mm item and use the 20 for one of my other babies.
Is the buckle genuine? I've never seen one in gold before and the marking on the underside is not what i'm used to.
Any way here's the my new Verona -

All the best - Darren

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE