The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Oh hell... Where is that case cracker?

Colin,

My thoughts exactly...did Tag Heur change anything else or anyother significant differences that we can correlate to the changes in the serial# and the production run?

To my knowledge, TAG-Heuer didn't change anything in particular during the run of these Carreras with the exception of the actual serial numbers, and or the case reference numbers between the models.

I also noticed that some watches came with a Tan Leather inner case while others had the Black perforated Leather one?

Um, that's not a question... That's a statement...

Yes, some did. I know that TAG offered these with both Black and Brown straps (especially the Gold model) and it wouldn't surprise me if the original strap choice was reflected in the leather case. Also it's probable that the case supplier was different than the watch producer, and it is not uncommon to run out of one color case and substitute another color. Or a dealer could have swapped the cases either intentionally or by mistake.

I'm not saying for certain either or all of these theories are the actual reason(s) for the phenomena you (and I too) have observed, but they are strong possibilities.

Chuck,perhaps you and Colin can compare serial#s and dates of Prodcution...

Well, I've posted as close to my actual serial numbers as I feel comfortable posting, and I have no way of determining production dates. I bought my Black Dial Carrera from William Chu in the early fall of 1999 and my Silver Dial off of eBay the Summer of 2000. But I have no idea as to when they were made or first sold (other than it had to be before those dates).

So what in the correct nomenclature for the movement in the 64'Re Redition Carrera

I could tell you the number stamped on the movement, oh hell... Where is that case cracker? Man is this one on TIGHT... Ok, inside a little quasi Maltese Cross is LWO (Lemania Watch l'Orient) and next to the cross is “1873”. So calling it a c.1873, or l.1873 or a LWO c.1873 or a Lemania c.1873 would all be proper nomenclature. Calling it a c.1861 would not be proper unless you phrased it in such a way... Like this: The Carrera Re-Edition uses the same base movement as the Omega c.1861 (moonwatch).

Thanks,Mark.

You're welcome, Mark. Interesting discussion fellas!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE