The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
$2,585 for Carrera "Chronomatic" Dial . . . Seen This Before

It appears that someone will be paying $2,585 for a super rare Carrera "Chronomatic" dial. We see that many other elements of the watch -- hands, movement, pushers, etc. -- have come from the parts bin, but this is not the first time that we have seen a "Chronomatic" dial sell for this kind of money, even when everything else about the watch is "wrong". We saw a Chronomatic Autavia dial, in a replacement case, sell for some serious money [I forget the exact amount]. It is probably worth keeping in mind that we have seen exactly three Chronomatic Carreras [including this one]; this is the only one that was co-branded with Abercrombie; so this dial is -- in fact -- the rarest of the rare.

Personally, I would not pay much for this dial . . . this is simply not my kind of "project", as it will be impossible to restore / complete this watch "correctly" . . . but some collector (or, more likely, some dealer) will now find a Caliber 11 movement, find the correct hands and pushers, refinish the case, and have a watch that looks just about like the original Chronomatic from 1969 . . . How much would you pay for the resulting watch? Again, I wouldn't pay much for it, but I suspect that someone else will pay dearly for this restored Chronomatic Carrera.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE