The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Gold plated Carrera 12 on ebay
In Response To: Gold plated Carrera 12 on ebay ()

Hi Oliver.

I like these 73655s; three-register second generation Carreras are quite rare and it's sometimes useful to have a watch to hand with that kind of recording capacity. The gold 73655s do seem to be more available on the market than the steel 73653s - I imagine Heuer did quite a good trade in these as a dressier watch when occasion demanded.

In terms of value, though, these are pretty much the entry point to (mechanical) Carrera ownership. I bought one about 6 months ago for just over $800, which is on the cheap side, yes, but I wouldn't expect to see one go for twice that. There have been a couple on eBay for over a year now that have failed to move priced at or above that $1600 point. I've been watching this particular watch and it has failed to meet reserve at ~$900 and then just over $1000. Personally, I think at around the $1200-1250 mark, both buyer and seller should be pretty happy, much further in either direction and it would obviously favour one or the other.

I hope it does sell, and the buyer enjoys it - these work really well with the champagne/champagne dials and it's less common to see these with this version of the tachy ring (but still correct). In fact, the only drawback I can see is that buying one of these might increase the hankering after an 1158, and that's a whole different ball game altogether!

Messages In This Thread

Gold plated Carrera 12 on ebay
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE