The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Memphis . . . Spotted at Last

Nobody seemed to know what a Memphis was at the time, but it looks like you're in a good position to answer it now!

It uses the same hands as a Carrera Twin and similar "Chronograph" text - in the Carrera's case, though, that text runs almost fully the width of the LCD window. Interestingly too, it's only the black-dialled Carrera that has this red text, the equivalent grey dial has black text.

The markers are similar - the bottom three markers on a Carrera Twin are the only ones of the same length (although opposite pairs are the same too, of course - e.g. the 10 o'clock marker is the same as 2), they get progressively longer further around the dial (in both directions). This seems to have the bottom three of the same length, then all the others the same albeit with ends cut to accommodate the "window" onto the dial.

The fancy window around the LCD is straight from a Verona Twin, the Carreras have a simple line (black on grey dial, white on the black) surrounding the LCD. The Manhattans and Senators have the simple outline too.

I'm doubly glad you linked it, because I just discovered that the battery on my black Twin has run out and leaving these without power for a long time is not advisable - the LCD modules are notoriously temperamental, so I'll be wanting to get that changed asap!

You quite often see these ESA modules up for sale on eBay, either alone or as part of a donor watch.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE