The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Carronaco or Monarrera on ebay - great job!

: I have to admit i really like it!!!

: As i mentioned on another post is this a fake or simply a custom
: job?
: Surely a fake is trying to imitate the real thing when this is
: clearly a personal custom job???

: For instance i recently took delivery of a very fine Heuer Jarama.
: This has an unconventional flute ribbed bezel in white gold
: instead of the standard gold plating.
: Would this not be a custom job in the same way...?

It depends on how it's represented really. I believe the original text just described this as a Monaco, without any reference to the fact that it is a Monaco dial in a Carrera case.

Once the text was amended to say "HEUER Switzerland all parts from Heuer and Original, however the watch has been made upon special request in the late 1970 s and is one of its kind model. Case taken from a Heuer Auctavia (sic) and the dial , movement and Hands are from a Heuer Monaco. The dial has been cut to fit the Auctavia case.", I think it becomes clearer that we are talking about a custom watch. Even though it's obvious to the informed observer from the pictures, I feel there is an onus on the seller to state clearly that the watch is customised for the benefit of anyone who might not be as familiar with the Monaco and am glad that that did happen in this instance.

That said, whoever did the customising of this piece did an absolutely inspired job of it. Just goes to show that the big square Monaco case was a step too far for some at the time, but that someone liked the dial enough to go to the trouble and expense of having this one made.

We have seen a few dial transplants:

but this one probably has to be the most successful and desirable. Though those CdG Carrera dials seem to go well in any case too...

It remains to be seen whether anyone else has the nerve to go through with creating one of these Monarreras/Carronacos!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE