The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My "NOS Dilemna": What Advice for a Deer in the Headlights?
In Response To: Jeff, as I said last night.. ()

So here's my current thinking about this one:
  • I once owned one of these, that was in near mint condition; I wore it; enjoyed it (to some extent), but it was not a favorite; so I traded it away [and took a real beating on the trade, I might add]

• When I saw this one listed, I thought that it was a compelling buy, as a purely finanical matter, and I thought that it would be a good opportunity to see how I might come to terms with this whole NOS thing . . . could I wear it? Would I be happy owning it but not wearing it? Should I put it in the safe, where some other NOS collecttors keep their watches?

• Now that I own it, I am a deer in the headlights . . . I stare at the watch, and freeze:

• I can't wear it, as is, because the bracelet is too long

• I don't like the idea of shortening the bracelet, as that often does some damage

• I'm not sure that I want to lose the "NOS Premium" in any case . . . will it be worth it to wear this watch a few times, and then sell it some day (or trade it away), when it will be "near mint" rather than NOS?

• I am guessing that someone out there will want this one more than I do
My current thinking: That I should trade it away, for a watch that I can wear and enjoy. Do not view that as a "Want to Trade" message, but don't be too surprised if we see one of these soon.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Take that beauty out of the box and wear it, it is a watch after
: all, and belongs on your wrist!!!
: Cheers,David

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE