The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Nice birthday present, don't panic...
In Response To: Waterproofing an old watch ()

Sean

This is a problem indeed.

My frst suggestion/observation is that these watches are really not meant to be used in the water. Silverstones may be better than some (Monacos for instance) but they were never that waterproof originally, let alone now. You could speak to someone like Nic at Heuerboy.com, he may have suggestions, but i doubt many (if any) on this forum use their vintage Heuers in the sea, shower etc.

Condensation is something that i had a problem with on a Autavia in the summer. In an ideal world you would get the back case off and let the watch dry off naturally in a neither hot nor cold enviroment. best advice is to not panic, i found mine naturally sorted itself in a day or two, but i wouldn't wear it again until this sorts itself out.

I'm sure some of the more "hands on" guys will post further ideas, if in doubt give Nic or Abel a shout and i'm sure they will advise more thoroughly...

Cheers

Rich

Messages In This Thread

Waterproofing an old watch
Re: Nice birthday present, don't panic...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE