The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Sorry for the REALLY late Leap/Scan Day!

Sorry for the REALLY late Leap/Scan Day!

I was looking back through my eBay feedback yesterday scanning for Leapday 2000 and trying to remember people and transactions via eBay user ID's and I came across an auction I won on Leap Day Eve for this:

This is the "Red/Orange/Gray" Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark II, sometimes called the "Racing" model because of it's dial. Anyway, this is the watch that was on my mind on Leap Day 2000 because I had just won the auction and was going about getting a PO mailed out and all that entails.

The Mark II is probably the most common of the vintage Speedmaster variants that are collected these days. The Mark II is a great entry model for Omega's as they are ususally in pretty decent shape, don't cost a great deal of money, parts are easily available and they share the same movement as the Moonwatch so they are a very rugged watch capable of taking a lot of abuse. The Mark II uses a "domed" case shape which was quite a departure for Omega at the time, but would be used and modified for use by Omega a great deal in the next 10 years or so. Heuer, by contrast prefered a concave approach to the case shape for most of their competing chronographs as opposed to a Convex approach favored byy Omega.

The Heuer Montreal Valjoux 7750 is one exception...

There is a certain similarity between these two cases which perhaps can be seen better with this angle:

Anyway, that's what was going on in my life on the last Leap Day. Thanks for clicking on the post!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only get better with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE