The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Carrera 1158 CH -- A Definitive Photo

As I was looking through some photos of the gold Carreras (Reference 1158), I found a photo that shows some of the defining elements of these watches. I thought that I would post the photo, with a couple of comments.

• This Carrera is a perfect example of something that we see in so many of the Heuers -- the hands match the markers, at least in a general sense. In this photo, we see the black edges of the hands matching up with the black edges of the markers. It's the same concept in some of the steel automatic Carreras from the 1970's . . . when the got fatter, then the hands got fatter.

• These hands are difficult to photograph, but this photo shows the construction of the 1158 hands in good detail: brushed gold, with narrow luminous inserts, and black edges and black triangular tips.

• These hands were used on all the production models of the 1158, once we get past the earliest models (from around 1970); the earlier models had polished gold hands, but these executions were either prototypes or very low production.

• Notice the black inlay on the marker at twelve o'clock; these are the kinds of details that make these 1158s so special.

• Another favorite element is the texture / grain on the dial. As we saw on the "transitional" Monacos, this style of paint is very elegant / sophisticated.

OK . . . just a couple of thoughts, late on the evening of the 24th.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE