The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
and I'll trail off with an Additional thought...

It's just a good thing that he decided to wear a Monaco in Le Mans. If he had worn a Rolex or an Omega in Le Mans, do we think that the Monaco:

Um, casting Rolex with anything in LeMans would have been about as out of place as putting Oakley Time Bombs in a movie about NASA's early years would seem today. In the timeframe of the movie (1970), Rolex have very little mindset with motorsports. It took Paul Newman, Newman's driving sucesses, and about 25 years of Sponsoring the Daytona 24 hour Race to change that.

While Omega had more motorsport's exposure, Heuer was by a sizeable amount the most visable motorsports timekeeper in the 1960's and 1970's. So while a Omega could have been cast and perhaps pulled it off, Heuer was undoubtedly at the top of the list along with Gulf and Firestone in terms of brand visibility.

1. would have been as succesful anyway?

It is hard to say because I'm not sure I have a good feel as to the success of the Monaco in the 1970's timeframe. I am not sure that the Monaco would be as well remembered today, it might not have been the subject of a limited edition Classic's run which turned into a popular series in the current product line.

2. would have been about as collectible as the Temporada?
  3. would have been somewhere between these two extremes?

I think the Vintage Monaco's would certainly be less collectable than it is currently, if it would be about as collectible, or more, or less so than the Temporada is hard to judge. Far fewer people know of the Temporada, and I think the Monaco would be better known even without the added boost of McQueen's use of the Monaco.

It's interesting how McQueen's decision to wear the Monaco contributed to the future of Heuer and the Monaco, even to this day. Of course, we should also give Heuer some credit for the assoication with McQueen. In the right place at the right time!!

I think it's more interesting that the movie, while well thought of in the motorsports industry/fans wasn't particularly sucessful in the theatre's and movie critics, would provide the TAG-Heuer firm with inspiration and direction nearly 30 years after being filmed after being largely forgotten by 1974 except for those who sought out seeing the movie... And it influences T-H fairly steadily even now. It's a shame that it took so long for TAG-Heuer to realize what a gold mine they had/have in the heritage of the Heuer firm. Hopefully they will see the possibilities of careful selection of ,,classic,, Heuer's of the past added to the product line can have towards increased sales and better brand opinions among watch fans.

I'll trail off with an additional thought... If TAG-Heuer wanted to they could issue a Daytona Re-Issue based on the similar Autavia Re-Issue last year, and really cause problems with Rolex... I mean what could Rolex do. Both firms had Daytona models in the 1970's it's not like it didn't happen. If Rolex made legal waves, T-H could say "look it's like GT on cars... Nearly every manufacturer uses the GT suffix sooner or later... Interestng thought that...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only get better with time…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE