The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Deep scratch removal...
In Response To: Re: Here's another option... ()

I get a lot of watches that have had really botched crystal polish jobs. This is mostly due to power buffing out deep scratches in localized areas which result in a wavy surface. If your crystal has deep scratches that cannot be removed by hand buffing, they need to be hand sanded out with 600 grit wet sandpaper. This needs to be uniform sanding over the entire crystal. I then use a 3" buffing wheel and C-Clear (by Grobet) for the initial buffing. The buffer is variable speed an SLOW wheel speeds are a must! If you run it too fast, you can melt a spot on the crystal and that usually cannot be corrected. This is followed by Polywatch hand buffing. This will result in a crystal that really does look like new. Besides the Monaco, there were a lot of vintage watches that had plastic crystals that are no longer available anywhere.
That said, I would practice on something besides a Monaco crystal for starters. Craig

: Yes, I'm also a fan of Polywatch. Grat stuff, just be careful not
: to take too much of the acrylic off!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE