The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Looking for Jack Heuer 40th reissue

Welcome to the forum Jonathan!

While we tend to focus on the vintage watches here, these Jack Heuers have attracted a fair bit of attention over the years too - from my point of view, they are the most successful of the Carrera re-editions that TAG-Heuer have released, leaning heavily on the second generation original Carrera for inspiration but different enough to have a look of its own too.

Things to look out for? Well, they are all silver-dialled (though it is quite a matte silver and can look white or beige in some light), so you can rule out anything that has a black or obviously white dial. The internal tachymetre bezel is actually a separate piece from the dial and is angled - lots of the fakes have these just printed on the dial. Note that the real thing has "automatic" written above the date window and that the fakes in that older post typically don't. The other give away is the serial number (the one at top right, not the limited edition number at the bottom) - seems to me that the fakers didn't realise this changes watch by watch and just reused one serial number over and over again... if you can find that serial number by Googling it, probably best to stay away.

As far as price goes, if those are anything to go by, they have significantly recovered since I bought mine getting on for 3 years ago. I paid less than half of the cheapest of the linked watches, for a watch in the 0400s. Not sure if they are actually selling at those levels (the watch in the US in particular seems to be a speculative price), but if they are, then a good alternative would be to actually go for the watch's vintage inspiration:

That sort of money should buy an entirely reasonable 1153, and servicing probably won't be much more expensive for the vintage watch - an 1153 may even be easier to find, I get the impression that a fair few of the Jack Heuers are now safely ensconced in collections where they are likely to stay for some time. Good luck on the search - if you find one you like but are not sure on, post here and someone will be happy to comment, I'm sure.

Messages In This Thread

Looking for Jack Heuer 40th reissue
Re: Looking for Jack Heuer 40th reissue
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE