The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Tag Heuer Switzerland servicing vintage time pieces

Hello Paul,

I'm very sorry to hear about the case swap and the bad case restoration. I'm also very surprised as I personally have very good experience with TH Switzerland. There are some very capable watchmakers overthere who can handle these vintage timepieces as they deserve.

Some time ago (2 or 3 years), I had 3 watches from my personal collection serviced by TAG Heuer Switzerland. One 1133B McQueen Monaco, one 1133G Monaco and one 1163T Siffert. All of these watches came back to me as I expected. The movement service was done very well, the re-luming was done very professional and the parts that were replaced I received back as I requested.

However, I guess it depends a lot of who's working on your watches and this shouldn't make any difference at all. Also about the case refinishing I don't have any experience with TH Switzerland for the obvious reason I can handle this perfectly myself.

So, there are some bad experiences out there...but also good experiences. Question is which collector is prepaired to take this kind of risk. Getting your watch back in an incorrect case reference or a wrong refinished case is a nightmare in my eyes.

Still some serious space for improvement there.

Cheers,
Abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE