The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I just picked up my Carrera 12 Dato.....

from the watchmaker. And I'm more then happy with the result.
As you may remember I bought it in a non running condition. The seller claimed to be the first owner, and that the watch, after lying in a drawer for five years, did not started running again.
It was indeed fully wound, and although all complications appeared to function normally it didn't run.

I took it to my watchmaker, who opened it up and immediately gave it one more click on the crown (that click I didn't dare to give it for fear of breaking something) shook it once, and it started running. Needless to say, that was good news.

I left it there anyhow for the full service, and picked it up today. And boy am I happy with the result! Better then I hoped for when I first saw the watch.
It was off course competely disassembled and cleaned, but nothing needed replacement. The mainspring I had changed anyhow, since it was taken apart, so that it has the full reserve again. And my watchmaker by chance had an original Heuer spring in stock. Also the hands were filled again.
Now that it's completely clean, both the dial and the case look near perfect. I guess the worst part, if you can call it that, is the date hand, that is somewhat "spotted" , and it looks as if one of the tips of the half moon is a bit shorter. What's more important, is that it's probably completely original, straight from the first owner and simply gorgeous.

This has become one of my favourite watches already, and I hope to show you some more detailed and better pictures when I have the time.
Here's a quick shot from the watch (where else?) on the wrist.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE