The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What's rarer?
In Response To: What's rarer? ()

Guys really interesting discussion, now jumping in for the Jaguar E-type. With no doubt one of the most important cars of the last century. Launched 1961 and tested at a topspeed of 240 km/h some sources even confirm that testet with dunlop race tyres the car reached 249 km/h !! Guess judgeing design cues you would need to go for the initial design not the later introduced 2 plus 2, which had a longer wheelbase and different window angle. The E-type was aerodynamically a sensation and the long bonnet as well as the coke bottle shape of the rear wheel arches was heavilly copied across the globe by other sportscar manufacturors during the 60is and 70is. The greenhouse proportions work well on the initial coupe, agree on comments of the 2 plus 2 which was intended as a cruiser for the american market. Further was the E-type priced very competively and the output of 265 Hp out of 3.8 l was not bad for 1961. The low price and pretty rugged construction and ability to get a tune up to 300 Hp rather easily created a new Sunday driver hype. The car was a light weight at 1250 kg and gave a stunning performance. Interesting for me on the E-type market is that there was no unnatural hype compared to some Ferraris, hence prices are very stable....
On the watches I am really grateful to Jack Heuer for creating such diversive and rich portfolio. I went through various steps exploring it and every day I find some new details. The wristpresence of a Monaco is just stunning, the cutting edge design of the Silverstone seems top notch even 30 years later. The purity of the early Carreras, the Cortina with its perfect bracelet integration and hexagonal shape, the big boy calculator with its many functions, the chrome Monza so Ferrari like, the first automatic Daytona, the Siffert Autavia with its amazing dial colors and variations, the Camaro cushion shaped, Montreals with the luminous dials.....
For me Heuer is just the most amazing brand !!

Cheers

Arno

www.heuerchronographs.com

: Monaco or Silverstone?

: There seems to be loads more Monaco's advertised than Silverstone's
: but the Monaco's are quite a bit more expensive. I realise there
: is the Steve McQueen link but...

: David H

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE