The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
These are Rare; This One on the Market for Months / Years
In Response To: Heuer Monaco 740303 (eBay) ()

This version of the Monaco really is rare, as I can recall seeing only two or three of these over my years of collecting the Heuers.

This sample has been on the market for a very long time . . . at least six or eight months, maybe as long as 18 to 24 months. seller had it listed on eBay many times, with an opening price (or maybe BuyItNow) of $15,000. This became something of a joke, on this forum.

Several months ago, the seller reduced this $15,000 price, into the range that he currently asks, but it appears that there have been no takers, even at this lower level.

All of this brings me to the point that I have made many times before, "Don't confuse scarcity for value." Yes, these are super rare, but so what? Most people want their Monacos to be blue, as in the "McQueen" Monaco; currently, a really nice blue Monaco might be expected to sell in this $9,000 range; seller should expect this gray one to sell at some real discount to the current price of the "McQueens", regardless of its scarcity. When the seller understands this, he may be more successful in selling it. Of course, his approach might suggest that he is not really trying to sell it . . . or perhaps he is trying to get lucky, with a buyer who is not familiar with market prices (or who doesn't care about these market prices).

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Guys,

: What do you think about this one?
: How rare is it really?
: I have seen 3 Valjoux 7740 Powered Monacos, but only one
: Calculator...

:
:

:
: http://cgi.ebay.com/RARESTof-RARE-HEUER-MONACO-STEVE-MCQUEEN-2-REG-MAN-WIND-/260618270305?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3cae0f3661#ht_2166wt_930

: dddmmm8

Messages In This Thread

Heuer Monaco 740303 (eBay)
These are Rare; This One on the Market for Months / Years
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE