The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Technical question, Carrera 1153

I own a Carrera 1153 (The exact model is the same one on the comparison page on this site) which I bought new in late 1969. I have used this watch as my "Daily driver" since new until I could no longer get it serviced (about 1988). Lately there are technicians again interested in working on these great old time pieces instead of turning up their noses and trying to sell me a Rolex, so I found a VERY reputable, VERY high end retailer in Boston who claimed they had a watchmaker who could fix it. When it was returned to me it worked well in all respects except one:
The dial that is supposed to accumulate the 1/2 hr.'s ticks at 2 min, 32 min, 62 min, etc. I am not a watchmaker, but it seems as if there is a part of the chronograph section that is working, but incorrectly indexed.
I returned the watch to the retailer who subsequently informed me that a part was needed which is no longer available.
My questions:
Is this (an incorrect part) a reasonable explaination for the problem?
If so, is it possible to source parts for the Dubois-Depraz chrono movement from salvage or specialty sources?
Can parts form different movements (i.e. a C.12) be used or modified to work?
Has anyone had experience with a watchmaker who can help me get my "Old faithful" up to full operating capacity again?
Thank You, Peter

Messages In This Thread

Technical question, Carrera 1153
RE:Technical question, Carrera 1153 *LINK*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE