The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Yeah, pretty much! =)
In Response To: Late Night Heresy?? ()

Late Night Heresy??

we say that we love the Lemania 5100 [ hello, mike ] . . . we say that we love legibility and clean lines [ that's me ] . . . some insist on three registers [ hello, chuck ]. . . many of us want the date . . . all of us want a brand with some history / heritage . . .

so all that being said, can someone tell me why this Tutima Commando isn't the perfect chronograph??

Sure!
  • Titanium, unless a special type (read IWC) or a specially formulated (read Ventura) is more prone to scratches than Stainless. These scratches have a tendency to "heal" with exposure to the atmosphere, but they are more common.
  • The Tutima is one of the thicker of the 5100's out there.
  • The pushers, while very streamlined, are more difficult to accuate than conventional pushers, such as those on the similar Sinn/Bell & Ross Space One.
  • The styling, while solid, isn't as stylish as a number of other 5100's I could name.
  • I like the precision of the minute hand on the Sinn Space One better.
  • Some people do like small seconds, 24-hour indication, and date.
  • I have known what the markers mean since I was five, a Tachy, or under crystal rotatable diver's/12|24 Hour bezel would be much more useful.
  • Wish there was the option to have a Black PVD coated Titanium model.
  • Why force a "one-size fit's all" off the rack solution in a world where people cherish choice?

Here are pictures of my Sinn Space One and Tutima NATO for reference.

I like the Tutima's, and the Sinn's/Bell & Ross's, but not to the exclusion of everything else.

What do you think?

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only get better with time…

Messages In This Thread

Late Night Heresy??
What's missing for me:
Yeah, pretty much! =)
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE