The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: stolen Carrera 1153,shipping from Italy

That's a shame Thomas.

I've heard, and read, that there are problems in getting insurance for packages both originating in, and going to, Italy. In that case, have you quizzed the seller on precisely what that 45€ does comprise? It does seem excessive - I've had things from the US and all the way from Japan for less and that's a lot further than Italy to Austria (sorry for stating the obvious there!).

It does happen in other places, we've had package contents going missing in the UK too judging by posts on here, but it does seem more prevalent in Italy (not wishing to cast any aspersions and only anecdotal, but it looks that way from what I read, and judging by eBay sellers' stipulations).

I usually buy from here in the UK, Germany or Austria (I knew that university degree would come in handy, it helps a lot having no language barrier with such big markets for Swiss watches!) and occasionally Switzerland itself, though the customs charges do cause some extra pain there so I don't have experience with buying from Italy but we do have Italian readers, maybe they can chip in with some useful advice? It sounds like you've already taken the only steps I could advise, I'm afraid.

I'll keep an eye out for that Carrera and case number for you.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE