The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Divers screw or push crown.. interesting info...

I have two 980.032L's, one is pictured below.
This one has a screw down crown (signed). When I bought the second one, it's crown didn't screw down, so I sent it off to the watchmaker.
I've finally got it back, but still with a (new) signed push down crown. The watchmaker has a good relationship with TAG Heuer Switzerland, and had been speaking to a helpful guy over there in their service department. TAG insists that this push down crown is correct (as is a screw down), they even sent a new crown to my watchmaker to fit. The watch even passed the 200m pressure test.

I've read in the past that some owners have a 'push down' crown model, which I've always thought was wrong. (OK, some of the economical models were push down).
My only presumption is that the 980.032L was right at the end of Heuer/start of TAG Heuer, so maybe there was a change in supply of parts. The crown definitely does not come from another model diver, as the 980.032L is part of the 'oversized divers' family and have their own large crown size. All the other oversized models I've handled are screw down.

Another one of the strange Heuerisms that makes these watches so endearing.

Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE