The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My First Arrived Today. Autavia *PICS* *LINK*

I hope you can empathise with my excitement. 6 months since my first post to this elite forum and today I, (and more importantly my Autavia,) have become a member of The Family. Thanks everyone.
First my impressions and thoughts on my watch.
A serious chunk of metal. I love it.
I conclude that it is an Autavia 11630 MH 1977 Cal 12. After searching OTD, I found this watch in the Bonhams Catalogue here

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/WService=wslive_pub/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=4560055&iSaleNo=17865&iSaleSectionNo=1

I conclude that my hands have faded and compared to Arno's NOS, mine has a number 100 larger than his. I can still note the gloss in the dial, a little bit of paint flaking off the hands at certain places, and the hand for the 30 minute subdial has lost some of its base where it attaches to the movement. Not having taken the back off, and going on the pictures supplied, there looks to be a bit of gunk from the seal, so any suggestions or interpretations there would be welcome. It won't be going in the water! All in all though I am very happy. Everything works well and it is keeping good time. Wow, it has a great weight to it. The band seems to be all there, for with my 7.25" wrist, I think I'll have to take a minimum of 3 links to fit me.
The seller tells me that he reluctantly bought this watch from its original owner, and not only has the watch seen some 2000 hours flight time, some of that time was in actual combat conditions in the Falklands (Malvinas) conflict (1982). Just makes it more special to me. I would dearly love to get some documentation of this as I think it would be great to have.

I want to take this most auspicious moment to say thankyou to Jeff for this great site, for without it, I truly doubt I would be owning such a piece of horological history, to all the contributors, and especially to Darren Cal 11/12 for his friendly emails and assistance.

I'm not planning on doing anything to the watch, a new bezel is an option, but I am of the thinking that I like the history that the watch carries, and I respect that. Perhaps that is the romantic in me and as regards this particular watch, that may change in the future. I am assured by the seller that the watch does not need a service, and he also advises to leave it as it is.
Any thoughts, recommendations, ideas, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I remember reading in a past post about this watch clicking when wound, disconcerting at first, but thanks to this forum I am ok with it. Am I correct with this?
I'll let this settle in, and see what I would like to own next. Perhaps one of each is a good start. Carrera, Pasadena, Montreal, etc, though a Siffert would be nice!

My watch, pictured with my nuts, for that is what pays for them. I just love my nuts!!

Argentine Navy 3rd Naval Fighter Squadron pilots in front their A-4Q Skyhawks during the Falklands War 1982 (Photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE