The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Gutted....out bid by 5GBP in the last 5 minutes

When I first started using eBay (more than 10 years ago now), I was bidding on Autocourse annuals. And it was weeks before I actually managed to win anything, because my bids were always trumped in the last few seconds of the auction, whether it be by automated snipers or just people making last gasp bids manually.

This was getting terribly frustrating and eventually I realised that the only way I was going to beat them was to join them, and make my counter-bids in the last moments too. I never really fancied handing over sign-on details to a sniping site so I just bid myself as the auction was almost complete. It's not really my ideal way of going about things but as a bid on eBay doesn't extend the duration, it often devolves down to this last minute frenzy.

Quite nice as a seller, I've seen items quadruple in value in the last minute, but as a buyer I've missed out on some really nice watches this way.

Fortunately, Arno's auction will use traditional bidding, so no eBayesque sudden forest of hands/bidding cards in the last seconds!

Messages In This Thread

Gutted....out bid by 5GBP in the last 5 minutes
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE