The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Ron's views about "The Auction", Results, Future etc.

Hi all, here some of my thoughts and experiences of the last two unforgettable days.

To me they were simply fantastic. I enjoyed the ambiance created by Arno and Bonhams. A sheer delight to see our dearest hobby presented in such a "luxury gift pack": the way of presenting the watches, the evening reception with so much class and dignity but most of all , seeing all the faces from -what was it, 18 different countries?- WOW! What also struck me also was the down-to-earth character of everyone in the group. We are all no-nonsense persons working hard for our money, speaking passionately about a dial, the finishing of a case, and -yes- even the particular way how a series number has been placed on the case. Very little "posh"talk about values and "good investments". All emotion and infatuation, little about "pecunia" and "cashing in on your watch". Loved it.

I had the honour to sit next to "Derek" during the dinner on Tuesday. He's a retired watchmaker ( 77 years old!) who has worked for Heuer and TAG Heuer. Very nice man and we have been chatting about life, his grandchildren, his hobbies ( no, no watch collecting) etc etc. He told me some interesting tales about his past at Heuer's, how things were organized in the sixties-seventies, how radical decisions were taken now and then, sometimes originated from the lack of parts to finish a certain batch while the customer was banging on the door to be supplied in time, etc etc.
Highly interesting, explaining lots of the backgrounds why we see so many different versions within one watch type. Probably just the way things went in these days without ISO, CAD designing and manufacturing etc etc. Those must have been the days. Derek also told that for the sake of getting money there has been a point in time ( seventies) that Heuer has been making and selling voltmeters. New to me, never saw one before. Not sure whether they sell them with wrist straps...

Then the auction. Well what can I say. It was my first auction and I was impressed by the dynamics of the lots being auctioned and hammered. Quite some bidding through the internet. I also noticed that many of the "down-to-earth" pieces precisely landed within the pre-indicated price range. Coincidence? I do not know. Abel, sitting next to me, saw the same. In other words, how important is the role of these pre-indicated prices to the end result ( especially at an auction 1,5 week before Xmas) . In this case significantly I think ( with the exception of the real stunners) as many of the bidders seemed newcomers, relying on these price indications. So surely no connoisseurs on price levels. I agree with Jeff on the background of the high price for the standard 1133B, some people may have been misled by maybe having the wrong impression that this was one of the 5 at the Lemans filmset.

I left the auction as if I was walking on sunshine.God, such prices. But, seeing the guys again later ("Yes, I was the one buying the share certificate of a bankrupt company, that can only be reserved to persons with crazy nicknames...hahaha") huddled together in a murky restaurant cellar, to sip their coffees, looking at each others watches as if it was their own "baby", a feeling of nostalgia came over me. Man, please do not let it be true that this hobby will be taken over by the big shots with lots of money soon , buying Heuer for value interest only. Without any form of love and addiction, only seeing them twice: when they put it in the safe and to take it out again to score the profit, leaving all of us behind because we cannot follow anymore and/or may have lost the pure joy and emotion which we all experience now.

Prices are ok to increase, but please let it be gradually. Also to not attract the interest of the big time investors and give us some more time whileit still lasts.

Finally, a big word of thanks to Paul who did an excellent job. He is probably sleeping now but he may read this later.Enjoyed making acquaintance with you and Rich and walking Burlington aka Rolex Arcade with Abel and Fabrizio. A unique experience this second summit. Also thanks to let me have the bridal suite in the hotel but next time please include the young bride please ( favoured specs regarding size of hands and pushers etc on request....)

Question is, when will we have the 3rd one? Switzerland again in 2-3 years ( maybe Mathilde is reading this mail.....). Or maybe Atlanta (GA)...

Still need Jef's street address to send over our token of appreciation. Jeff, would you maybe Jeff's address maybe (LOL)

Cheers
Ron

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE