The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
So Many Recurring Design Issues

Yes, that's interesting, how the numerals "1-through-12" went in an out of style.

The ridges in the recorders are also interesting to ponder. They look so powerful in this Seafarer, and now -- almost 60 years later -- these ridges were a last-minute change in the Carrera Cal 1887 (as David Chalmers has documented in his review / preview of the Cal 1887). So many styling cues come and go over the years . . . large registers become smaller. markers take the place of numerals, ridges come and go, hands become fatter and thinner, polished steel to brushed steel to painted steel, etc.

We all have to find the elements we think we like best, and then see whether these preferences translate into what appears to us as a good looking watch. I love the larger registers on the early Seafarers, Auto-Graphs, Autavias, etc., in theory and in execution. Looking at the photo below, I'm also a fan of the two-finish dials, where we see the normal paint in the center and the outer track that almost looks like bare metal . . . we see this same effect in some of the Carreras, for example the very early 2447D shown below.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Nice Jeff.

: You know what really strikes me, apart from the intense patina?
: That 12 hour recorder looks almost exactly like the ones in the
: automatics from the 1972 model year on.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE