The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Watch collecting is so hard

I'll be honest. I have bought many watches because I believe I can' fix em & 'flip em' for a nice little profit.
I feel slightly dirty thinking it, and buying them, as this honorable hobby is a kinda brotherhood - but I tell myself it is to aid my collecting of watches that I want to keep.

The problem is this... why is it I fall in love with the watches that I want to flip. The watches that attracted me to them because I saw £ signs. I wasn't taken in by them, I didn't want them, they were a financial decision. So... why is it that it's these very watches that become dear to my heart?

A prime example is an old, battered Leonidas 'Chronographe' valjoux 22, 60 minute. There's no paint left on the dial, the case is worn and old. God knows when it dates from - 1940's, 1920s - I have no idea. It was the first vintage watch I bought, and for a long long time I've been meaning to sell it, but I have come to admire it, and love it, I dug it out tonight, as I think I should sell it, but I don't think I can.
Caring for these timepieces makes me poorer, but my soul richer.

How many of us out there share this (beautiful) affliction?

Cheers
Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE