The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: My Carrera Cal.11
In Response To: My Carrera Cal.11 *PIC* ()

Hi Max.

The dial colour of the early 1153s was a point of debate when we were putting the Carrera table together. Some people see it as dark blue, others as charcoal - in the end, we decided to go with charcoal as that is how they are catalogued for the first couple of years, before the description changes to dark blue.

Not sure if you're aware, but your example has had a little dial work done, which may have affected the colour. Might have been what caused the rings around the registers too. There are a few detail differences in the text (I can elaborate if you like) and a bit of a hiccup with the "T Swiss Made T" text - the 1153s don't have tritium lume and should just have "Swiss" above the date window - the inside of the date window frame should be finished white too. The case has had some light refinishing as well - the grain in the brushed finish was originally vertical rather than circular.

Are the first 3 digits of the serial number still legible? That will help narrow down the date, though I concur with your 1970/late '69 estimate anyway :)

Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE