The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
That Seems to be What People Are Calling Them

The Autavia 1163 MH, black dial, with white registers, and the minutes / hours bezel . . . early versions with 3-6-9-12 on the hour recorder, and the polished steel hands . . . people seem to want to call these "Derek Bell" Autavias, as we have seen photos of him wearing this version (or what appears to be this version). [Personally, I believe that this is an "OK" nickname for these Autavias, but I don't see the strong association / imagery that we see with the Sifferts and McQueens, where we have numerous photos of two men who may be more "iconic" racers . . . but this is just a personal view. Of course, Bell had a great racing career . . . who am I to dismiss five wins at Le Mans!!]

Of course, the most popular / common of the 1163 black / white automatic Autavias were the "Viceroys", which had the Tachymeter bezel (taken from the 1163T "Sifferts"), 1-though-12 on the hour recorder and the brushed steel hands, with the red triangualr tips.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++

: From my limited knowledge, Yes, I'd say it is. An early 1163 with
: 12, 3, 6, & 9 hour markers (instead of 1-12), plus steel
: hands.

: Cheers
: Stewart
: :

Messages In This Thread

So is this a Derek Bell Autavia ??
Re: So is this a Derek Bell Autavia ??
That Seems to be What People Are Calling Them
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE