The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Autavia 2446 - New Acquisition

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm no Autavia expert but that looks pretty straight to me. The crown looks thick, but I think that's more to do with me taking issue with Heuer putting overly thick crowns on Autavias than that your watch is incorrect! The "Swiss" text is missing from the 12-hour register:

but it looks as though there might have been some attempt to clean the dial patina in that area perhaps.

The one thing that stands out to me as being incorrect is the bezel insert. The lume dot is more associated with a dive watch - I would expect a plain triangle at 12, typically on the MH (minutes and hours) bezel as on the example above. Early small register 2446s did sometimes come with an hours-only bezel, but the typography is again different and this is the screw-back case as opposed to your snap example:

Judging from the forum, it's pretty difficult to source replacement bezel inserts so we do see Autavias fairly regularly with non-original ones.

Maybe one of the Autavia afficionados can step in and point out anything I missed?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE