The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Need help with a Siffert

Gentlemen,

I have just acquired a Vintage Autavia, and I would greatly appreciate some assistance in determining its authenticity. On the surface, it is a nice, original Siffert Autavia, with details indicating that it is a later execution. It has the later brushed steel hands, tipped in blue. The serial number is in the range of 245,XXX. What is curious is that the case reference number is 1563. There is no T or MH, just 1563. My first impression, upon being presented with the watch, was that this was a “put-together”. However, this watch was purchased from an estate, and has only had a full service since being brought into the watch hobby. It is “as-purchased” from the family of the original owner.

Another (less) curious detail is the marking on the bridge. The "12” in Cal 12 is marked on a screwhead on the bridge. Maybe this isn’t all that unusual, but I haven’t noticed that before.

A search on this, and other resources yields a few cases where a Cal 15 watch was factory-installed into an 1163 case. Is it possible that this late execution Siffert was factory-installed in a 1563 case?

I have pictures, but no way to host them for inclusion here on the forum.

Ed
edandsusan@aol.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE