The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Refinished Heuer in Auto-Graph Style

Well, I think "Pass the trash" was perhaps a little harsh. More a classic case of buyer's remorse on realising they didn't quite have what they thought they did. They do point out that it's restored, at least to some extent.

I agree with caveat emptor and usually would wholeheartedly agree with the "do your research" first maxim too. I do wonder where they might find info on that period of Heuer history though. Personally I wouldn't be able to help them anything like as much as if they had a question on the 60s and 70s watches, or even the pre-WWII stuff. I can summarise what I know about Heuer's 50s activity in a few lines:

- they started producing "white label" watches for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Jack Heuer was mainly working in their US office
- they produced lots of time-only watches, many of which were automatic, some of which had a star on and I have no idea what that signifies!
- the refocus on chronographs again only happened right at the end of the decade
- some of the time-only watches seem to have been remaindered to retailers like Zales and Baylor
- they produced some complicated watches like the Mareographe; triple calendars continued to be a staple

And that really is about it. Do I know what they produced after the 2447 and before the first 404s/3336s? Not really. Am I sure there wasn't a Heuer version of the Auto-Graph? Far from it, though I do suspect if there was, it wouldn't be as monochrome as the watch under discussion.

I keep hoping that one of the new people to the forum is a 50s expert, who can brain dump all their knowledge, research and materials here, but it's yet to happen :)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE