The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Monaco 73663B with Blue subs

Guess we only call it an N or an NC because thats what it is to us now, as it was never (imo) a production model. However i think the 74033 PVD is likely to have surfaced later than the 1974-6 range, perhaps closer to when Heuer became insolvent. Even possibly coming to the market in a simlar way to the 73633B re-dials (maybe in the 80s), albeit as genuine Heuer parts from a prototype that was never adopted due to the inconsistencies of the PVD process. Having owned quite a few of these i can say the the slightest wear (for instance 2 weeks of winding) can take away some of the PVD edge finish, not something i suspect that customers would have found acceptable. On the plus side the PVD finish looks and feels nicer than the variants that made it to full production like the Monza or Montreal, the Monacos has a smooth, silky finish the others are rougher.

All interesting stuff.

: The Monaco PVD predates the 1 indicating PVD being adopted. The key
: for that Monaco is in the suffix - NC for black case.

: At this point PVD is still something of an experiment. When we see
: it put into serial production on a barrel Carrera it has both
: the NC suffix and the 1 indicator (110.571 NC). Subsequent PVD
: watches, like the Montreal and Monzas, all use that 1 indicator.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE