The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
2nd gens not all that strong this year to date

Going back over my sales spreadsheet, this doesn't seem to have been the best year to sell second generation Carreras so far. One very strong result for a 1553 early on, then average at best, with quite a few below what I consider the going rate. I'd expected quite big things of the third gen (barrels) this year but they are up and down, for every strong result there is an equally weak one.

As I think we've seen quite a few times on the forum, it really seems to be the year of the first generation (I might say "again"). Lots making strong prices and, now I have 3 months of data to go on, I think I can say that they are in fact strengthening. Quality has been up and down, most I would rate as good, but there have been a decent number that were very good and up. If anyone has spare internal bezels, you can either cash in or hang on to them in the hopes of snagging a Carrera yourself - a number of the watches, even some of the otherwise very good ones, have been missing their bezels. A fair few contrast dial watches have been turning up of late too.

I found one interesting 2nd gen watch, especially for those of you who like chocolate dials:

Ignore the hands, they're not correct (although they do provide an interesting contrast to the dial) and focus on the dial. That started life as a blue Côtes de Genèves dial, as fitted to the barrel Carrera (and also to this late model 110.253 B, the dial is not a transplant) and has ended up like this. Must have had an interesting life! In this instance, it looks less like the UV-induced pigment failure that normally gives us chocolate dials from a black original and more like some corrosion has been involved, but I still find the end result somewhat appealing.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE