The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Carrera 2447NS 'Panda' spotted

: It would help if Mark could share his assessment.
: At first sight we can see : wrong pushers,
Some people maintain that late first gen Carreras had these pushers ex-factory. I don't agree personally, but I do think it possible they replaced original pushers with flutes during servicing if there were problems. This tallies much better with the proportions we see with fluted compared to smooth pushers in my opinion. We have to remember that first and second gen Carreras were sold alongside each other for over a year (some of '69 and most, if not all, of 1970), so stock consolidation between them is entirely possible.

poor case
: (over-polished),
Yes, the case is polished. Not necessarily inconsistent with a lot of wear over the intervening period, but looks like it may have been to remove some surface scratching.

odd serial number (on the case back on a 2447
: ?),
The marking on the caseback was put on there by the Swiss distributor Cuanillon (hence the preceding C-) rather than the serial, which should be in the normal place between the lugs. Nice telltale to let us know the watch was originally sold in Switzerland.

very nice dial, non matching patina (hands - indexes)
Yes, the dial was great and the marker lume did look a little white compared to that on the hands. I wonder if the dial had been cleaned and possibly the top layer of (discoloured) lume removed at the same time? Delicate job but if so, it was done pretty well. Even if a relume on the dial, they did a very good job of getting the dots in the right place so either way, it was done pretty sympathetically I reckon.

: I'm curious to see how much this one will reach if the auction is
: not terminated before the end...

I reckon it was a pretty good watch and it has now sold, so we won't get to see the end price. The new owner might like to come forward though?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE