The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Definitely a rare bird

: Jeff, Mark how many of these do you have in your database ?
: How many have you seen in metal ? Believe production was order
: only and even more limited than on the 1158 ?
: Cheers Arno

We've seen these in quite a few dial variants now; standard, early Tachy, late Tachy and Deci. I don't recall having seen one with the earlier blue Deci scale. Seen somewhere between 10 and 15 altogether, although personally I've only seen 3 in the metal - one S and two different Ts.

It's quite possible they were to special order only - equally, it might follow a similar pattern to the 1158s where there seem to have been some initial production runs with examples placed in prestigious outlets but later watches were to personal order only.

It's hard to say now what the total production run was, but anecdotally I'd say we do see less of these than 1158s so quite probably a smaller volume of these first gen watches. I wonder if the markers and handset were shared between these 2456s and the 2448, or if these are solid and the 2448's are plated. It would make sense to share them, so fulfilling a 2456 order would just be about sourcing the case.

I do think Heuer did a fairly good trade in these as an executive, dress watch though, along with the triple calendars, so I don't think the numbers are all that low. In my experience, these are quite "sticky" watches too - people buy them and keep them, most we see for sale have just come through inheritance.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE