The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Siffert and McQueen: Connection on a Different Level

Well, I think it differentiates that early model from the regular Viceroy. Also, it's only human nature to connect these wonderful watches with respected / cool people. I'm sure if some historic a**ehole wore a Heuer you wouldn't use their name in connection to it.

Yes, it causes problems, but I guess we have to live with it.

The confusion, mis-information and intentional hood-winking will always exist where there's a buck to be made, whether they have a name of not, it's just that the name emphasises it.
Knowing the ins & outs of Heuers is very complicated.

Another thing, the Viceroy... surely it should be called the Parnelli-Jones Viceroy Racing Team Heuer Autavia. I've rarely seen this mentioned, yes it was a cigarette promo, but in conjunction with the Viceroy Racing Team, Heuer, and Parnelli Jones.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parnelli_Jones

Just out of interest - I'm sure I saw Graham Hill wearing a black dialed Autavia in some archive footage...

Stewart

: For me there is also the factor that, while Derek Bell was a
: great racer, the connection to Heuer was not as strong as with
: Siffert. Siffert was from Switzerland, sold Heuers, wore the
: Heuer patch, had the Heuer logo on his cars, and had other
: connections with the brand and the watches. So too, McQueen is
: deeply connected to the Heuer brand, through the filming of Le
: Mans.

: I just don't see the same connection with Derek Bell.
: "Yes", he was a great driver, but "no" I
: don't think that he is really identified with the Heuers. We
: started hearing of "Derek Bell Autavias" within the
: last couple of years; Arno promoted the sale of one of his
: Autavias as a "Derek Bell" and properly confirmed that
: this was the model that Derek wore; while this may have been an
: appropriate reference for Arno to use, it seems to have been
: misinterpreted by many other people.

: Now, about the Rindt . . .

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE