The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Call It a "Viceroy" If . . .

Stewart:

I believe that the watches actually sold under the Viceroy promotion (for $88 and markers from the cigarette packs) were limited to the 1163 and probably the 11630.

Still, I use the name "Viceroy" for any of the Autavias that had (a) the red-black color scheme, (b) brushed steel hands with luminous iserts and red tips, (c) the 1-through-12 on the hour recorder, (d) the applied markers, with inserts, and (e) tachy bezel. The fact that Heuer was still marking these cases 1163 V, long after the promotion with the cigarette company was concluded, tells me that the Viceroy name is appropriate. Of course, I use the term loosely, and will ocasionally refer to a watch as a "Viceroy with MH bezel", meaning that it is a Viceroy, excpet for the bezel.

In the end, perhaps some of the names that we use are actually appropriate for general color schemes and key elements of models, rather than exact models -- "Siffert" for the white with blue, "Viceroy" for the black with red (and elements described above) and "Derek Bell" for the black with red (and polished steel hands, 3-6-9-12 on the hour recorder, ridged markers, and MH bezel). If we limit the names "Siffert", "Viceory" and "Bell" to the models actually worn by these drivers (or actually sold by the cigarette company), then we leave a lot of executions unnamed. So I tend to be a lit more "liberal" in using these names, at least the Sifferts and Viceroys. [As discussed a couple of days ago, I am still not an advocate of the "Derek Bell" name, as I don't see the strength of the Bell-Heuer connection.]

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Jeff,

: I always thought that the 'Viceroy' label only applied to the
: 1163v. Am I wrong?
: If so, are there 1163v, 11630 & 11063 Viceroy versions?
: (ps. sorry to go over old ground)

: Stewart

: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE