The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What Is It: Carrera 1153, White-on-White?

I have my doubts. Wynonie already picked up on the incorrect second hand, and it looks to me like the chrono needles might have pointed, rather than flat, ends. The time-keeping hands are a bit anachronistic for the rest of the dial furniture too, though we sometimes see that happen with replacements.

The photos need to be higher res really, but I wonder if we're seeing equal patination across the dial face and the registers or whether the registers are somewhat more patinated. They may also be recessed slightly more than usual too - I guess it would be possible to separate the top layer of the dial sandwich (i.e. the silver (not white, never white in second gen Carreras) dial face) from the layer underneath and pair it with the second layer from an N dial, giving you this combo, but it would be a lot of effort to go to. I guess it could have been something requested of Singer for a prototype, or even an error in production, matching the layers of the sandwich incorrectly.

There are some script variations but I'm not sure they're not within the bounds of the natural variability we see. The starburst dial finish doesn't seem to match that naturally with the pale matte finish of the registers, the matte black is a much happier marriage with the silver.

So while I have some doubts, I'm not ruling it out of hand either. Looks like the seller has other Heuers for sale, so maybe they read the forum - in which case, we'd love to see high res photos!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE