The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Jordan Air Force Carrera 45 Dato: eBay Bargain??

Mark

As I have a declared interest in this piece I am keen to challenge your opinions of some of the components as follows:

: It's unlikely to have been tailored to a specific market at that
: period in Heuer's history.

Heuer were already producing custom pieces such as the Indianapolis Speedway Carrera 3147 (date at 12) which as we know is an earlier version of the dato Carrera that the Jordanian (with date at 9). It is therefore conceivable that they produced this unusual bezel specifically for the Jordanian Air Force.

: Given the wear and tear generally, particularly on Arno's watch,
: and the relative whiteness of the bezel, I still think it more
: likely that the bezel has been refinished.

One sample could attract that level of speculation however two samples reduce the probability that the bezel has been refinished. I would be interested to know if you or anyone else has a picture or example of another of these Jordanian Air Force Carreras for further comparison.

I agree that the example in Arno's book has a lot of age to the dial and less on the bezel. However in the example we are now referring too, there is less contrast between the patina of the dial and the bezel. It seems quite strange to me to refinish a bezel and not the dial.

Arno's book has done many things for the Heuer collecting community. One specific thing it has done is to set a president and in this case specifically referring to the second divisions on the outer crystal ring of the military version. In my due diligence I referred to this entry and once I saw the similarity I was ready to make my offer. There is nothing quite like having a vested interest to inspire one to seek further understanding of the minute details of these vintage Heuer watches. I have great respect your opinions and knowledge of the entire Carrera range and look forward to a healthy exchange of views.
Regards
Paul
www.heuerworld.com

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE