The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Cal.15 Autavia racing dial

Hi all,
Here's my latest catch: the 'mysterious' cal.15 Autavia with racing dial in the cal.11 case...but first some info on how I came to find this watch...

This one came up for sale locally, very very cheap, but unfortunately, I was just too late and the owner sold it immediately.
To my luck, the new owner decided to flip it a couple days later, so with a hefty premium (over his price, but still a good deal for such a nice Autavia) I consider myself lucky.

The watch is in superb condition...except the original owner engraved his name on the side of the case.
But this is also a bit of 'our' luck, as this way I could trace the owner back and ask some questions about the authenticity and history of the watch.

The owner bought it to dive and it has been used under water, but has never leaked and the movement is super nice.
He also told me it came on a rubber strap, and that's one of the reasons he got it (for the diving).
It's the original dial - not a service dial put in later.
Unfortunately he didn't remember if the watch came in a blue or red box, but it was long gone anyway...
The watch was bought at a local dealer in the south of Belgium in 1979 or 1980. So this is in line with the picture of the display at Tag Heuer made during the 1st Heuer summit by Abel, where TH state it's a '78 model.

Also, when digging up some posts about these Autavia's, the previous discoveries all had a 270xxx serial. Mine is a late 269xxx, so it must have been a close batch.

Hopefully this additional info clears some of the mystries of these Autavia's.

And now for a picture, my new pride and joy:

Messages In This Thread

Cal.15 Autavia racing dial
Re: Great catch
Fantastic
Seen quite a few of these
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE