The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Actually with the GT-40 I wouldn't turn my nose up

: Here is a parallel question: Would you rather
: have a vintage Ford GT-40 or one of the
: to-be-reissued GT-40s??

Actually with the GT-40 I wouldn't turn my nose up at either one! I'd love to own either one, the new model would likely be a far more streetable car than a GT-40 Mark III. The new one is bigger in size too, an important consideration for some one who is my size (Think John Candy)...

: assuming availability of the vintage model, you
: will have historical value genuine
: association with racing scarcity proven
: reliability better looks a 12-hour register
: a rotating bezel.
: here is the clincher for the choice - - -

I agree with Jeff 100%. There is really no comparision... The new Autavia's are for those who like the look but are willing to settle for a look alike or fear vintage watches. While the new models do have a few factors in their favor that Jeff didn't mention like warrantee, I would assume easy parts availability, easier to purchase, etc. there is nothing like having the real thing on your wrist!

Enjoy whichever model you end up with...

-- Chuck

Messages In This Thread

Old or New?
Imagine Ford GT-40: Old or New?
Actually with the GT-40 I wouldn't turn my nose up
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE